Shot shortly before the tulip series included at the end of this assignment, as I begun to feel more positive about gels…
With this flower, I finally got the orange gel under control; and shot a series where I varied the strength of the backlight until I felt that I had matched the colour of the gels as close to the main colour of the flower as was possible [for me].
Most definite influence here were the flowers of Ron Van Dongen. It was only when looking at these that I thought of finding similar colours within the flower and the gels.
The tulips were lit from with the Octabox angled above and forward to it; with a the Stripbox camera left. I also placed a large Lastolite reflector behind and to the right of the flower to try and bounce some of the light from the strip onto the back of the flower. It might have helped a little to reduce the orange light on the back of the leaf; but the reflection of the orange light is still visible on the leaf. the flower. There is also too much reflection on the flower petals, which was something that I worked on in the tulip series.
The backlight had been raised it and positioned to the left of the bud to help limit the fall-off, although there was still fall-off on the right.
There was minimal post-processing. The images were handled in Adobe Lightroom 4, with Camera Calibration as Portrait Profile—2012 Process. With the White Balance remaining “As Shot’.
The orange light had deadened the green of the stem and leaf, so I adjusted the saturation and lightness of the green slightly to get it closer to what it looked like without the colour contamination.